Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Montreal, May 19-21, 2006

Some selected pictures from my trip to Montreal, QC over the Victoria Day weekend, 2006.



La Belle Province!



Montreal is well known for its comedy festivals, and so Naomi and I decided to take in a show at the Comedyworks Club.



Eating Crepes for Breakfast



About to get on the Metro



The city of Montreal from the Mont Royal, known to locals as 'The Mountain"



In the background, a Catholic Church. In the foreground, a Muslim Mosque. Montreal is a very cosmopolitan city, featuring many people from many cultures and religions.



A beautiful city...



Some buildings of McGill University



Olympic Stadium, built for the 1976 Summer Olympics, has been a financial nightmare for Montrealers. Now sitting empty (The Expos left for Washington DC two seasons ago), it has yet to be paid off.



The Arts Building at McGill University



I like the reflections...



Checking off Montreal on my list. Naomi and I have a list of 50 cities in North America. The goal is to visit all 50 cities. The first person to do so, wins. This is a life-long contest, but at the rate we're going, we'll have completed it by the time we're 35.



A stunning juxtaposition, the gothic styled Christ Church Cathedral stands tall in front of a modern skyscraper.



A micro-brewery in Vieux-Montreal where my sister and I had some amazing ribs and freshly vrewed beer.

\

I'd like to try the One-Metre Beer sometime...



Satisfied



A cobblestone street in Vieux-Montreal



That was damn good beer!



The Basilique Notre Dame de Montreal



Naomi and I took in a mass at the Basilique. Worshipping God in such an ornately decorated sanctuary was enjoyable.



I don;t know that woman, but this is one of the best shots I was able to get.



Saint Joseph's Oratory. A Basilica dedicated to Joseph, the earthly father of Jesus. The original keeper, Brother André, is interred in the building. He claims that miricles performed can be attributed to Joseph. Brother André has been beatified by Pope John Paul II, and is one miracle away from becoming a saint.



I was unable to get any good pictures, but the views from the Corinthian columns of the north Island of Montreal are incredilble.



Joseph and child



The Sanctuary of the Basilica.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home